How to Create a Foam-Free Arrangement at HomePosted on
As all outdoor activities, sporting events and schools continue to get cancelled, it’s been advised to self-quarantine. Although remaining inside is important to protect yourself and others from the novel coronavirus it could lead to extreme boredom and stir craziness.
So here, we’ll show you how to create a chicken-wire floral arrangement at home with only 5 items.
What you’ll need:
- A Flower Bouquet: Supermarkets are a few of the establishments that are still open, so grab one from your nearest store.
- Medium-size vase: Pick something that’s not too tall or wide, but somewhere in the middle. Remember that if you get creative anything in your house can also be used as a vase!
- Chicken wire: Take advantage of Amazon Prime and order it online (Floral Netting; $8.47 on Amazon).
- Floral shears: They’re inexpensive, so pick up a pair (such as these $7.99 on Amazon). You can also use garden clippers, kitchen shears, or even craft scissors.
- Floral tape: We recommend using Oasis Floral Tape.
How to work with chicken wire:
Cut a piece of chicken wire twice the size of the opening of the vase of your choice, make a globe with it and put together all ends. Set it into the container with clear tape before filling the bowl with water.
Start by adding your greens to create a shape that is asymmetrical, making one side higher than the other to achieve the look.
Add in your larger flowers like roses, peonies or even lilies. Follow the shape of the foliage you previously used. Next up, create depth by adding layers using carnations or lisianthus. You don’t have to place them symmetrically, just have fun with it!
Now add gestural flower elements. In this case we used some campanula, but you can also play with a scabiosa or any long shapely stem.
The final step is to add texture. You can use wax flower, gypsophila or any grass to help bring the whole arrangement together and add your final touch.
And there you have it. Chicken wire is an easy to use and eco-friendly alternative to floral foam that can be used to achieve a beautiful arrangement. We hope you try it out while you’re spending time at home, and have fun in the process!